RECIPE Mago Lemongrass Chicken Limited Edition Ginger + Lemongrass Hot Sauce
Here is a healthy recipe that will lighten the mood and maybe even make your day. This flavorful chicken is enjoyed best with a friend, even if it’s over video chat..
We wish everyone the best in these crazy times. Like everyone else, we are wondering how long this all will last. We have been socially distancing and isolating, and working on exciting new sauces to come. Just as we have always done, we have taken extra sanitary measures to ensure top safety. Thank you for supporting MAGO!
Here it is..
Heads up: Start marinating the chicken the day before for the best results!
We love this dish with coconut rice. Follow the instructions on the rice package, usually using 2 cups of liquid to 1 cup of rice. Use a can of unsweetened coconut milk instead of water, and then use water for the remaining liquid if needed (a couple ounces). Most cans have about 13-14 ounces of coconut milk.
IF YOU DON’T WANT TO GO TO THE STORE FOR LEMONGRASS or GINGER: Instead replace those ingredients with 1/2 cup of our new Ginger + Lemongrass Hot Sauce (otherwise the recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of the hot sauce).
Ingredients: for 2 pounds of chicken thighs, Feeds 4 friends
- 2 stalks lemongrass (prep instructions below)
- 4 gloves of garlic
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoon of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 (total) tablespoons of your preferred oil
- 3 tablespoons tamari, or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Mago Ginger + Lemongrass Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar, or honey
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Cilantro*, optional garnish
Notes: For the Lemongrass, start by cutting off about 1/2 inch of bottom section, then remove first 2 outer layers and cut off the top section. Lightly smash the stalk before finely chopping.
Except for the lemongrass, the rest of the chopped ingredients don’t need to be as finely chopped. The blender will do the job.
- To make the sauce, use 2 of the 3 tablespoons of oil and then add all of the other sauce ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish or a plastic bag and cover it with the sauce. Turn and coat all parts of the chicken thighs with the marinade.
- Cover the dish and place the chicken in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour, but we recommend marinating overnight.
Cook the Chicken:
- Take the chicken out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking so the chicken can come to room temperature. This will ensure that the chicken will cook evenly.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the (we used avocado oil) oil. Once the oil is hot, place the chicken thighs on the pan.
- Cook for about 6 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is nicely browned and fully cooked.
- Remove and let it rest for a few minutes. Then slice into strips, and serve with rice (or veggies, etc.) and top with cilantro and some extra Spicy Magic.
- Dig in and enjoy!